Friday, January 22, 2016

WTF app rant

No really, why the hell do you need access to my camera..? You are not a webcam and have NOTHING to do with my camera!

And my bloody accounts, contacts? If I want you to know my personal info i'll give it.

Has anyone else noticed this or do you just blindy accepy the "Permissions" you give people to access a app?

Long of the short: Nothing is free.

If its a free app then they will use any and all personal info you have to either scam you or find products you'll want to buy based on previous searches. Usually the latter but we all know more then one are selling your info...

In the end though, its a big pain in the ass as you see just how much they take.

Sure, them getting access to a list of one person on a phone you never use because you have a new one seems like nothing... But they can hack old data that you've deleted and that one time you got on twitter or facebook just got found, suddenly your facebook is hacked.

No, no im serious. People do this stuff for fun, others do it for profit. Your not living in your parents world where hitch hiking was safe and normal.

So... Now that i've ranted you probably want to know what im doing to prevent that pervy hacker from watching my sleep?

Step 1. Duck tape every camera.

That is not a joke. I put duck tape on my webcam when not in use, as well as my front and rear phone and kindle cameras. Why? Because I had a tech savvy friend show me just how easy it was to be hacked and be watched. And lets face it, we do some pretty stupid stuff when those cameras are facing us and we think their off.

Im willing to bet half my readers take some device in the bathroom with them, and that alot of you even change with your camera 3 feet away! It sounds so innocent, but once you realize that camera can be rolling its abit dirtier.

 

Now im no nut job with a tin foil hat on, but im not naive either. People are sick and twisted and greedy. If I can think of something bad to do, someone else has done it 20 times and another has thought of something 50 times worse. That sort of stuff leaves me with a odd taste in my mouth.

But its not just phone apps. You have a facebook? I do sadly. You notice facebook demands ALOT of personal info but hey, you can make it "private"?

Facebook has been openly accused and not denied the fact that they've sold personal info, spied on people, and even conducted social test on its users without permission.

Sadly, I can believe it. Just look at those adds. Did you post a comment that you want a item off amazon or did it just appear there in the adds 5 minutes after you looked at it on another site with facebook closed?

Didnt I start this post about phone apps... Huh.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment