Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Let's Talk Canning: Storing Properly


Just a quickie on storing Home canned goods… These are from someone who actually cans, I’ve canned maybe once or twice (because she made me join her before we typed this).



1. Remove the rings. These can rest and prevent a bad seal from breaking. You don't want a bad seal to hold since it'll breed the bacteria that kills.



2. Always store in a cool dark place. Pantry, covered cabinets, a crappy mini fridge that doesn't keep food cold but is your table so you cant ditch it... You get the point. Just don't let it sit in direct light.



3. Don't Stack. Same as the rings, if you stack them you can keep a seal from popping when its bad.



4. LABEL! Date and contents. Why? Because this stuffs technically only good so long and a broth looks like a stock, and both look like soup... But they all taste very different.



5. Eat within a year. After a year it starts to lose its taste (according to Ball, but apparently a lot of fruits and jams can taste the same a hundred years later).



6. Check it weekly. I like to check for bad seals each week by poking the top of the lid. If I can push it down or hear it make a popping noise (like they do when their not sealed) then it’s come unsealed and I need to toss the contents and clean the jar. If the lid had sealed when you put it in but unsealed during storage then don't try to reuse it. The food is also possibly spoiled or has bacteria in it already so I wouldn't even taste it to see if its good. Better safe than sorry.



7. (because I like 7 and this is important even if its not about storing) Always check your food before eating. Is it the wrong shade, moldy, smell spoiled, looks spoiled, was easy to open? Then dont chance it. This hasn't happened to her but I've read from other bloggers and Ball site that it can happen. Botulism might be odorless but other stuff is noticeable and can get you sick too. 



Also, if a jar was EASY to open that's bad! I promise you a good seal is a pain to break because it was vacuumed onto that jar. You will hear a wooosh as it opens, you will fight to remove it, and it will pop as it breaks! Maybe theres a trick to it that I don't know but I take that fight as a good sign!



Mostly dictated and typed. But she’s not joking, those suckers are hard to open but it is good. 



Side note, canning was actually fun. So I might do a few more posts myself after I practice with it.


Wolfe

No comments:

Post a Comment