Monday, March 23, 2015

A Weapon Rant! Concealed Vs Open

WARNING!  This has to do with Guns and the carrying of them!  If this offends then I suggest you skip!  Please keep a open mind when reading any of the "rants"!  They hold opinions of the writer and are open to civilized debate and open minds.  No closed minds "Im always right!" types!  :D







As a gun owning American I DO see a issue with people openly carrying their guns.  But I also know that it is their right.

So allow me to enlighten you on some simple facts to consider when choosing YOUR stand!






Open Carry

Pro:  Deters robbery and threat- When its known your carrying, a mugger will go after the easier target that cant fight back. 




Con:  Treated differently - Its no secret, some people are nervous about weapons.  But others are damn right hateful!




Pro/Con:  A known threat -  This goes BOTH ways.  By carrying ANY weapon you become a threat and thus get priority kill.  You are openly showing you have a gun, you can handle it, and you will use it if you must!  This means you have the option to protect yourself or others in a emergency but it also puts a bulls eye on you!




Concealed Carry

Pro/Con:  Unknown - No one knows you got it.  You see that being dangerous?  Because it can be.  They have it hidden meaning if they want to fire it theres no warning.  It can be safe for them or dangerous for you depending on if their the attacker or protector.

Pro:  No stigma attach while concealed- No one will treat you differently because they don't know!

Con:  If found then the reaction is WORSE - Hiding weapons, with a permit even, really makes you look like a villain...

Pro:  Unknown advantage - True you might get attacked but you have a means of protection that you can choose to use or not.  If you feel they'll not hurt you if you give them your cash then you have no reason to shoot and feel guilty!  If you are threatened or hurt then you can fight back! 

Con:  Hidden weapons can be hard to get to - Under the seat, in the purse, anywhere its concealed you gotta reach for it.  So unless your a quick draw you have attention on you.  Your now the primary target.

Pro:  Most require a license!  - Just like to drive you take TEST for this!  You prove you understand the weapons use, How and When to use the weapon, and what can happen if you use it.  A robber, mugger, or random shooter probably wont own the gun or have that little piece of paper because then its tied to them.










In the end, these are just things that apply to public places like stores.  Stop saying NO GUNS and start asking to see a ID!  If you feel nervous with a assault rifle in the store then put a strict limit on what can and cant be carried in the area.  A small handgun that makes someone's daughter feel safe is not a threat till its carried by a criminal.  A criminal will not follow the law.









"I personally carry.  I keep my concealed.  I am of sound mind, I am legally allowed to do this, and I have no criminal record.  If threatened I will pull and shoot.  If my gun is out, it will be fired.  That's what it means for me to have a gun."

"But I also live in a not so nice area, I walk to a bus stop a good ways from my home.  I sometimes get home VERY late.  I HAVE been followed and felt threatened.  I am one of the people who carries to feel safe.  Because I don't have a car to use here I have to keep my weapon, bags, ect on me. "

"Not all who carry guns need them but there are those that require a weapon for protection.  Theres always more to a weapon then just a idiot kid who you bullied into a bloody rage.  "



~Unknown -
An expert from several emails sent to the editor. 












This was submitted by a regular reader who emailed me her feeling on guns.  As a woman who also carries for safety, I thought i'd share her story as well as pros and cons to carrying in public places. 

Self defense classes never made me feel as safe as knowing I had something to trump a knife. 

So consider the good a gun might do before you consider the bad. 




PS

I DO NOT AGREE ON ASSAULT RIFLES!  Assault rifles are not meant to be carried unless in a war zone.  Keep one in your home.  In your car if you want!  But don't carry it into a store or public area.  That IS something to be nervous about.  A simple handgun is more protection then you should need. 

As my old man would say "One shot to hit, one shot to kill.  If you need to fire again then get out."  Realistically, Your gun is the warning and the threat.  A assault rifle is WAY over board.  If you want it for protection AWAY from civilians then have at it! 



Thank you for reading, God Bless, and keep safe out there with the REAL criminals!

~Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment