Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Lets Talk Coupons--An App that can help you save!

Are you poor?  Are you stingy with your money?  Are you struggling with cash due to the fact that the holidays just suck?

Well, im all three. My food budget is only about 100 bucks and half of it goes towards dog food, treats, and non food items... Like soap.

We dont get government aid AKA food stamps.  So we do things the old fashion way.  Coupons, off brands, and discount stores.

Im not ashamed of that either.  I have got enough food to last a week and have better food with leftovers then people spending twice what I do.  And honestly, I dont notice a real difference in the taste of off brand verse main brand foods...  I even splurg on the organic meats.


But lets get to the point, shall we?

This post is on Coupon clipping.  But, you dont get the paper or have a printer?  That can make it hard.

Personally, im lucky enough to have a smart phone (which these blogs and book sales pay for each month!  So maybe you consider some of those? --Moving on!).  I would search sites for coupons and deal announcements, write down a list and let them scan them over my phone at check out.  This took me a few hours each Saturday since I would plan the meals around my coupons and budget.

But then while im there I had to price compare with my coupons because a name brand with the coupon could still cost 10% more then the knock off.

But it was worth it.  I saved a average of 10-25 dollars a week on the items I had to have which gave me wiggle room to get extras like a monthly gallon of Ice cream or a large organic, farm fed chicken.


But a friend who also struggles with cash recently turned me on to this app that gives me my coupons and rebates in one place.

The App offers you coupons, bonus rewards, and rewards for recruiting as well (it sounds like a pyramid scheme, and im pretty sure it is one, but it is effective and it isnt hurting you, thus i'll endorse it).




Review wise, the complaints are both valid but in valid.  I'll list below the more common:

-Issues with picture taking.  =  Not as common but it seems to hit Andriod users more.  I personally had little to no issue if I set the items on the counter and auto focused by keeping my finger on the screen.


-Slow load ups.  =  This isnt the app.  I think this is the internet.  No, its not a instant change but I never had to wait longer then 5 seconds (and that wait was on a list with more then 200 items!).  It might also be a lack of storage on the phone though, just like a computer it'll run slower if the memory is nearly full or if you have 20 items running at once.


-Time consuming.  =  I saw it a few times.  STUPID is STUPID.  I know its harsh, but this app was insanely faster then searching page after page of other sites for coupons.  Probably about the same as with a paper (since you'd have to cut those out).  You cant expect to get a free service and then finish in less then 10 seconds.






What you do:

You find a rebate you'd like to use and "Unlock it" which means a short survey of maybe 3 questions, a video that is 30 seconds or less, or a quick fact to read.

Personally, I unlock anything I think i'll use while im at work so the videos play while I work.  So every 30 minutes, I unlock as much as I can till I reach a video.


Now you go to the store.  You can either check your phone or make a list with brand names at home.  I do the lather and check for rebates as I go if something catches my eye.


Now you pay as normal.  Which can mean using coupons for items you wont get a rebate on or just paying and going.  Personally, I still use a few coupons, especially if its for items im not using rebates for.  (I havent found anything saying I couldnt, and the more I save the more I can get.)



Now, the slightly long part.  You DO have to scan barcodes of any item you want to rebate.  So you pick the rebate and scan the codes.  It doesnt take too long though.  I tend to do it when I get home or while im on the bus when its not in walking distance (I suggest grouping and items your going to rebate on together so when unpacking their not all spread out as bad!).



Last you scan the barcode of your receipt or take a picture of it.  That will allow them to verify the purchase.  Which can take up to 24 hours, but on smaller orders I find it takes less then 5 minutes.



Where can you use it?

Hundreds of stores including Walmart, Target, Food places (I know Chili's is on there actually), Pet Smart, Whole Foods, Sam's Club...  Places that accept coupons tend to be on the list.  Even Dollar General and Family Dollar.  I found pharmacies like Rite Aid and Walgreens too.  More then likely, a store you go to is on the list.


What can you use it on?

Cloths, Pet stuff (Limited amount honestly), Electronics, food, liquor (Oh yes, MANY wine and vodka choices were listed for select brands!), containers, Office supplies, ect.


What brands are included?

Most main brands seem to be featured.  Ziploc, Tyson, Olay, Dial, Chobani....  But my favorite is the "Any Brand" ones so I can get my favorite brand.


Is it for certain items/flavors?

Some are.  I know for like a Brita Rebate for filters, it was only good for the pitcher filters, not the ones you put on your sink.  But most were "Any variety" with exclusions on anything smaller then so many ounces.  There are some specific ones though, yes.


Have you saved with it yet?


My first week using it, I used 8 rebates and saved 6.75.  I then got two bonuses (one for 2 dollars for getting over 5 rebates in a set amount of time, and another for 0.25 for using two coupons on yogurt).  So in less then 3 days, I had a balance of 10 dollars.  And most of what I saved on was staple items like bread, eggs, and milk!  I didnt go out of my way for it.





Now one of the other reasons im sharing this is you get bonuses for "Inviting Friends" to join the saving.  This doesnt take away from you if you choose to try the app but it can help the person who's link im sharing.  This one actually belongs to my friend Linda who got me started on it.  So I hope you'll try through the link and help us both.


http://ibotta.com/r/lfafxgu



Happy Saving, especially with Thanksgiving so close!

Wolfe

1 comment:

  1. Check out Receipt Hog and Checkout 51. Hog gives money for taking pictures of Receipts while Checkout is like ibotta but not as a list but no store requirements.

    ReplyDelete