Monday, December 21, 2015

Eggnog Recipe, Yum

My last post idea ended tooo soon.  So now I come baring a recipe, Fresh from the kitchen!


Now yall know im a cheapo.  I like to save.  Well Eggnog is VERY expensive.  But I love it.  So, how bad could it be to make?  Not too bad.


Original Recipe:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2.html



I used this as a guide but I really didn't follow it too well.  But credit where credit is due!


Ingredients:

3 Eggs

1 1/2 cup Half and Half

2 tablespoons sweetened condensed Milk

Bourbon or Vodka

Nutmeg, all spice, or cinnamon (tablespoons worth)

1/3 cup sugar



First, split your eggs into two bowls.  Whites in one yolk in the other.  You can do this by cracking the shell to take a decent chunk off the top to allow the white to drain, or you can do as I do and just drop it into your hand and let it slide right through your hands (If you do this, the yolk is surprisingly firm and wont feel slick, just be careful of the yolk popping and starting to pour out too.


Next use a whisk to beat the yolk till its a bright yellow.  Now you slowly add the sugar and whisk that in till the sugar is 60-100% dissolved.


Next add in your Half and Half.  Whisk.  A splash of Vodka or Bourbon.  Whisk.  Your Seasonings.  Whisk.  And finally that sweet condensed milk.  Whisk it good!


Now to your egg whites.  Whisk them till their a abit bubbly and have started to turn white.  Then add to the rest and whisk it for about a minute.

Taste and chill.





Comments:

Why Half and Half?  Its cheaper and healthier then heavy cream.  Plus I don't usually buy Whole milk and I can use the Half and Half with coffee.  Since Half and Half IS half cream and half milk it makes sense to combine those two and just go with that.


Why two kinds of Spirit?  Personally I like Vodka over bourbon.  But Bourbon gives it the right color.  If you want to use more, be careful with the bourbon though.  It has a MUCH stronger taste then vodka.


Can I skip the Spirits?  If your doing the uncooked method like I do, then don't.  Just use less but do use it.  It'll kill bacteria from raw eggs.  Besides, you really cant taste it if you just use a splash. 


A Splash?  That's what I call a two second pour.  The amount is like half a shot.  Use more if you like or less.


Why the options on Seasoning?  I like all three myself.  I'll even combine the three.  But Nutmeg is traditional but I enjoy cinnamon more.  A touch of ginger can also give it a nice kick.  Experiment abit!






Cost: 

Half and Half 1/2 gallon for less then three bucks.

Sugar few bucks but I always have on hand.

Condensed Milk was 2 bucks a can but I use it for cakes and in my lattes so i'll use it.

eggs were 5 bucks but I get organic and cagefree.

Spices I have on hand.

Spirits were maybe 10 bucks a bottle.




Shopping Bill?  Less then 25 bucks. 

Eggnog from store?  4 bucks for 1/2 gallon.


It doesn't look worth it does it?  But since I usually buy these things it wasn't exactly a extra trip for me.  And I can make the recipe over and over.  The only thing I didn't usually have on hand was the Half and Half. 


The price probably washed out for me but if your not buying the organic stuff like me then you'll save several bucks for more.


Enjoy and see yall soon!

Wolfe

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the share, it was yummy! Im putting it on my own blog (Linda's Recipes) but its private for family sharing recipes-that alright?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmm... We made some, it was great!

    ReplyDelete