Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Downsizing! Part 2

Next lets talk... Duplicates...


Part 2:  Ditch the Doubles and Multiples!


I know, you should be prepared with two, but you cant live in a small space and only have a 5x5 storage room and keep two of EVERYTHING!  Let alone has SEVERAL of everything...

Silverware. 

I'm sorry but when its two people, you don't need a set of 8 plus odds and ends from god knows where. (I counted 24 forks...A large one, and 2 small salad forks... The other 21 were just regular forks)  My solution was to donate it in general.  It cheap and had plastic handles but it was a full set.  The odds and ends were put together in bundles of 4 with the extras recycled.

Same with dishes and cups (though I kept 99% of my coffee cups). 

We really didn't have any sets here so we just trashed the chipped and broken stuff. 

Sadly, having a crafty friend trash wasn't good enough... But I liked the first part of the process and the end result.

We smashed all of that (including a mug that I treasured... Even though the bottle was missing..).  She then took the pieces and used them with concrete to make small walking stones.  She even made a special one for me with my broken mug.

In the end, that left us with three plates, its-not-your-business-amount of mugs, 4 mismatched plastic cups, and 2 glass ones, and 6 bowls.  We kept the three plates so we'd have a spare (ya, I know its against the rule but these are going back into storage and i'd like one more just incase one gets broken).  We recycled the plastic cups since they were old and most likely from a dollar store, kept the glass ones, and kept three of the bowls because one of them was small enough to use for dips.  Plus it nested so took VERY little room.


At this point were out of the kitchen box and have managed to clean out half of them.



Next was linens... God help me.

I have... A thing... About wolves... So I collect... things with wolves.  This left me with a sizable collection of wolf blankets, pillows, and sheets.

I really wasn't mentally able to let any go, so we took out two sets to use on our bed and the other 3 were put aside along with any damaged blankets/pillows.  The sheets were donated and Kirita is fixing the pillows and fixing/cutting the blankets up for quilting.  This reduced my collection by 3 boxes.


Next were towels... We've collected towels (beach towels) from events and so we had about 20 towels that I label "Drying towels" and 1 wash cloth... And 4 dish rags (but those were seasonal, so we left those be).  Naturally, a wash cloth is good to have.  But we didn't have any real bathroom set so again we took out the torn for fabric scraps, which left up with 12.  We then donated all but 4 so we could each still have our own towel (plus one for my hair) and a extra for when they were washed.  This surprisingly freed one box.



I know this post has emptied a few boxes but the boxes vary in size-its not the human sized mover boxes.  Just throwing that out there...


Well, I feel way too exposed so imma stop this one here.

Wolfe




No comments:

Post a Comment